Prep 10 mins
Cook 40 mins
A very low-fat, low cal soup with loads of flavor. What a surprise when my 'meat and potatoes' DH loved it! Original recipe in "Stop Dieting and Lose Weight," from Prevention.
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 2 medium carrots
- 2 stalks celery
- 1⁄2 teaspoon curry powder
- 1⁄8 teaspoon red pepper
- 1⁄2 cup brown rice
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breast, cut into cubes
- 2 cups sliced mushrooms
- 1 cup buttermilk
- Bring to boil the first 5 ingredients.
- Add rice, return to boil.
- Cover, reduce heat& simmer 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add chicken, return to boil.
- Reduce heat, cover, cook 15 minutes.
- Add mushrooms, cover& simmer 5 minutes.
- Add buttermilk, cook& stir til just heated through.