Leslie in Texas's Note:
This is one of our favorite summer salads--add a mixed fruit or veggie salad and some crusty rolls and you have an easy, do-ahead meal! This also would be a good luncheon salad--think showers, graduation parties, reunions, pot lucks, etc. Originally from a May 1993 Bon Appetit.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3/4 cup olive oil, plus
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 large onion, diced
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breast halves, cut crosswise into 1/2 inch strips
- 1 1/3 cups raw long grain white rice, cooked and cooled to make 4 cups
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen baby peas, thawed
- 1 (7 ounce) jar roasted red peppers, drained and chopped
- 1/2 cup golden raisins or 1/2 cup currants
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1/4 cup white wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1Heat the 2 tablespoons oil in a heavy large skillet over medium heat.
- 2Add onion and curry powder and sauté 5 minutes.
- 3Add chicken and sauté until cooked through, about 4 minutes.
- 4Transfer to a large bowl and let cool.
- 5When mixture is cool, add rice, peas, roasted peppers, raisins and cilantro.
- 6In a small bowl, whisk together remaining 3/4 cup oil, vinegar and cumin.
- 7Add enough dressing to chicken mixture to season to taste and toss well.
- 8This can be prepared 1 day ahead.
- 9Cover and refrigerate.
- 10Bring to room temperature before serving.
Browse Our Top Chicken Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Curried Chicken and Rice Salad
Serving Size: 1 (235 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 856.3
- Calories from Fat 444
- Total Fat 49.3 g
- Saturated Fat 6.9 g
- Cholesterol 34.2 mg
- Sodium 731.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 81.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 7.0 g
- Sugars 16.7 g
- Protein 23.8 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
white wine vinegar