Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This is one of our favorite summer salads--add a mixed fruit or veggie salad and some crusty rolls and you have an easy, do-ahead meal! This also would be a good luncheon salad--think showers, graduation parties, reunions, pot lucks, etc. Originally from a May 1993 Bon Appetit.
- 3⁄4 cup olive oil, plus
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 large onion, diced
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breast halves, cut crosswise into 1/2 inch strips
- 1 1⁄3 cups raw long grain white rice, cooked and cooled to make 4 cups
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen baby peas, thawed
- 1 (7 ounce) jar roasted red peppers, drained and chopped
- 1⁄2 cup golden raisins or 1⁄2 cup currants
- 1⁄2 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup white wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- Heat the 2 tablespoons oil in a heavy large skillet over medium heat.
- Add onion and curry powder and sauté 5 minutes.
- Add chicken and sauté until cooked through, about 4 minutes.
- Transfer to a large bowl and let cool.
- When mixture is cool, add rice, peas, roasted peppers, raisins and cilantro.
- In a small bowl, whisk together remaining 3/4 cup oil, vinegar and cumin.
- Add enough dressing to chicken mixture to season to taste and toss well.
- This can be prepared 1 day ahead.
- Cover and refrigerate.
- Bring to room temperature before serving.