Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This is a recipe from the same friend who gave me Bisquick Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies. Before I ate it at her house, I never would have thought I would enjoy this, but it is a meal I make frequently now. I do make some substitutions to make it easier to assemble (canned peas, etc.). Don't be quick to leave out the raisins, though, as they make a big difference in my opinion. Preparation time does not including cooling time. ***This recipe is better when it is made a day ahead.***
- 1 1⁄4 cups long grain rice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups water
- 1⁄2 teaspoon minced fresh gingerroot
- 1 cup diced cooked chicken
- 1 cup cooked peas or 1 cup cooked green beans
- 1⁄2 cup chopped celery
- 1⁄4 cup sliced scallion
- 1⁄4 cup chopped parsley
- 1⁄2 cup chopped green pepper
- 1⁄2 cup raisins
- 1 1⁄4 cups mayonnaise
- 1⁄4 cup light cream
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- salad greens
- toasted peanuts
- toasted coconut
- Combine rice, salt, water, and ginger in heavy saucepan. Bring to a boil, then stir with a fork. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer for about 15 minutes, or until the rice is tender and water is absorbed. Cool.
- Combine cooled rice, chicken, cooked and raw vegetables, and raisins.
- In a separate bowl, combine mayonnaise, cream, and curry powder; beat until blended. Pour over rice salad and mix very well. Chill.
- Serve in bowls lined with salad greens. Serve generously garnished with toasted peanuts and toasted coconut.