1/1 Photo of Curried Chicken and Peanut Stew
1 hr 35 mins
1 hr 15 mins
I found this in a newspaper years ago. It is tasty & quite fragrant. The curry will permeate any fabric nearby, so don't leave your laundry in the kitchen! If I don't have any shallot, I substitute about 3/4c onion, and I've used less or more celery and carrot depending on what I have on hand. We like the stew with crusty bread and a dollop of sour cream; while my neighbor prefers hers with rice.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 24 ounces bone-in skinless chicken breasts
- 1/3 cup minced shallot
- 1 cup diced carrot
- 1 cup diced celery
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 12 ounces beer (we like Pyramid Apricot Ale)
- 4 cloves garlic, pressed or minced
- 2 whole bay leaves
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 medium anaheim chilies, seeded/chopped or 1 (4 ounce) can mild green chilies
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- 1/4 cup peanut butter, mixed with
- 1/2 cup hot water
- 4 cups chicken stock or 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon sugar or 1 teaspoon Splenda sugar substitute (optional)
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro (optional)
- 1In a large non-stick saute pan, sear chicken breasts on each side for 1 minute; set aside.
- 2In the same pan, saute shallot, celery and carrot in 2t oil on low for about 5 minutes or until softened.
- 3Sprinkle with curry powder; mix well.
- 4Slowly add beer and stir as curry begins to thicken.
- 5Remove from heat and set aside.
- 6In a 8qt stockpot, saute garlic in remaining 1t olive oil over med heat for 1 minute.
- 7Add chicken, bay leaves& tomatoes; cover& simmer for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- 8Add curry mixture to the chicken and tomatoes, along with the chile pepper, parsley, and peanut butter/water.
- 9When all is well combined, add stock and simmer, covered, for 30 minutes.
- 10Remove bay leaves.
- 11Remove chicken breasts, cool (enough so that it can be easily removed from the bone) and dice the meat.
- 12Return chicken to stockpot.
- 13If desired, add sugar and cilantro.
- 14Taste, adjust seasonings, and serve.
Browse Our Top Curries Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Curried Chicken and Peanut Stew
Serving Size: 1 (374 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 258.5
- Calories from Fat 88
- Total Fat 9.8 g
- Saturated Fat 2.0 g
- Cholesterol 60.8 mg
- Sodium 340.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 14.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.1 g
- Sugars 5.8 g
- Protein 25.4 g