Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
A delicious fruity, nutty twist on chicken salad. My ex mother-in-law found this recipe several years ago loved it so much she called me to tell me about it before she finished the first serving. I love taking this to parties; it stands out from all the rest and people always ask for the recipe. I truly wish I knew where it came from because I'd love to thank whoever made it for such a special, delicious recipe!
- 2 cups cooked chicken breasts, chopped
- 1 (15 ounce) can pineapple chunks, well-drained
- 1 (11 ounce) can mandarin oranges, well-drained
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 2 bananas, sliced
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted dry roasted peanuts (or more if you like)
- 1⁄2 cup flaked coconut
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 2 -3 teaspoons curry powder (mild yellow)
- Empty the canned fruit into a colander so it can drain while you prepare the other ingredients.
- Prepare your chicken, celery and banana; I find it makes a big difference to have all the ingredients in this dish to be roughly the same size, so I cut everything to be somewhere between the size of the pineapple chunks and the mandarin orange slices.
- In a large bowl, blend the curry powder into the mayonnaise. This is a good time to take a little taste and see how much curry you want; I like rather a lot so that it isn't lost against the bold flavor of the pineapple. Then add all the ingredients and gently fold until everything is coated. The original recipe had the peanuts and coconut as a garnish but I find it's soooo much better with them all incorporated together. The peanuts will lose their crunch overnight so hold off on them until you're ready to serve if you need to made this ahead of time.
- I've been making this dish a handful of times a year for many years now, and it never fails to be a hit whenever I serve it. I've tinkered with it in different ways (pineapple tidbits instead of chunks, etc) but this way seems to be the charm. When we first discovered this recipe we thought it seemed extremely odd, but it's so utterly delicious I do hope you'll try it!