Recipe by luvinlif2k
This has gotten rave reviews at family picnics in the past. It is a refreshing change from the standard meat-salads used for sandwiches and is relatively easy to make. Pita pockets are the recommended "serving implement" but serve it up however you wish.
- 1⁄4 cup reduced-calorie mayonnaise
- 1⁄4 cup plain low-fat yogurt
- 3⁄4 teaspoon curry powder, to taste
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 cups diced cooked chicken or 2 cups cooked turkey (8oz.)
- 5 green onions, including tops,chopped (about 2/3 c.)
- 1 large sweet green peppers or 1 large red pepper, cored,seeded,and chopped (1 c.)
- 1 small golden delicious apples or 1 small Red Delicious apple, cored and diced (1 c.)
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh cilantro (or 2 Tbsp. minced parsley mixed with 3/4 tsp. dried cilantro)
- lettuce leaf
- 4 whole wheat pita bread, halved
Directions See How It's Made
- In a medium-size bowl, whisk together the mayonnaise, yogurt, curry powder, salt, ground red pepper, and garlic.
- Stir in the chicken, green onions, green pepper, apple, and cilantro.
- Tuck several lettuce leaves into each pita half, then stuff with the filling.
- Cover with plastic food wrap and chill until ready to serve.
- Will keep, refrigerated, for up to 2 days.