1/2 Photos of Curried Chick-Peas ( Chana Dal)
12 hrs 35 mins
Found on alleasyrecipes.com. Posted for ZWT8- India.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 cup channa dal (dried chickpeas, or garbanzos)
- 1 teaspoon tea leaves
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 5 cups water
- 1 tablespoon water
- 3 tablespoons ghee
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin seed
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon scraped finely chopped ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon garam masala
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon chopped coriander (cilantro)
- 1In a large sieve or colander, wash the chickpeas under cold running water until the draining water runs clear. Drop the chick-peas into a large bowl or pan, pour in enough water to cover them by at least 2 inches., and let them soak at room temperature uncovered for 12 hours or overnight.
- 2Drain the chick-peas in a large colander or sieve, place them in a heavy 3-4 quart saucepan, and add the tea leaves, salt, and 4 cups of the water. Bring to a boil over high heat, partially cover the pan, reduce the heat to low and simmer.
- 3In a separate 3-4 quart saucepan, heat the ghee over high heat until a drop of water flicked into it splutters instantly. Add the cumin seeds and stir 30 seconds,then add the onions and ginger. Lower the heat to moderate and, stirring constantly, fry the mixture for 7-8 minutes, until the onions are soft and golden brown.
- 4Watch carefully for signs of burning and regulate the heat accordingly. Stir in the turmeric, cumin, ground coriander, garam masala, red pepper, and 1 Tblsp. of water, and fry for 1 minute. Then add the chick-peas, their cooking liquid and the remaining 1 cup of water.
- 5Stirring constantly, bring to a boil over high heat, cover the pan tightly, reduce the heat to low, and simmer for about 25 minutes, or until the chick-peas are tender but still intact. Taste for seasoning, ladle the entire contents of the pan into a heated bowl. Sprinkle with the fresh coriander and serve at once.
Browse Our Top Indian Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Curried Chick-Peas ( Chana Dal)
Serving Size: 1 (250 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 278.4
- Calories from Fat 115
- Total Fat 12.8 g
- Saturated Fat 6.3 g
- Cholesterol 24.5 mg
- Sodium 604.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 32.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 9.3 g
- Sugars 5.8 g
- Protein 10.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included: