Recipe by MilliMoMo
This is a delicious, easy Indian dish. As with all dishes of this type, I think it was even better the next day. This recipe is from one of my favorite cookbooks, "Lean and Luscious and Meatless" by Bobbie Hinman and Millie Snyder. I haven't made a single thing from their cookbook that wasn't tasty!
Top Review by michelletaylor
This was good as written. It was a little sweet and I like a stronger curry flavor. The next day I added extra of the spices - doubling it from the original recipe. Next time I plan to omit either the rice or corn and add either diced tomatoes or spinach.
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 1⁄2 cups chopped onions
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 1⁄2 cups cooked brown rice
- 1 1⁄2 cups canned cream-style corn (just use the whole can, approx 14 oz.)
- 1 (1 lb) can chickpeas, rinsed and drained. OR, use 2 cups of of cooked chick peas
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄4 cup water
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 375.
- Lightly oil or spray (with nonstick cooking spray) a 1-1/2 quart baking dish.
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat.
- Add onions, garlic, and bay leaf.
- Cook, stirring frequently, until onions are browned, about 15 minutes.
- Remove from heat and discard bay leaf.
- Add remaining ingredients. Mix well. Spoon into prepared baking dish.
- Bake, covered, 30 minutes.