Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
This can be a hot vegetable course or a cold chutney!! Good with chicken, pork and shrimp. Excellent the following day with cold meats.
- 2 cups celery, thinly sliced
- 1 tart apple, peeled,cored and chopped
- 1⁄2 cup onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon butter
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- freshly ground black pepper
- Put celery in a saucepan and add boiling water to a 1/2 inch depth.
- Cover and boil 5 minutes (celery to remain crisp).
- Drain reserving cooking water and set celery aside.
- Saute apples and onion in butter in same pan until onion is transparent.
- Blend in cornstarch and curry powder, cook 2 minutes.
- Add 1/2 cup reserved water and cook 5 minutes.
- Add celery and pepper.
- Can be served hot or cold.
None of us could get enthusiastic about this recipe. It was just too bland for all of our tastes [2 adults and a toddler] and was lacking in something. Maybe some chicken stock might help liven it up. Side dish maybe, main dish - no. The curry was barely perceptible and this recipe would have benefitted from more. The recipe was however easy enough to make.