Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
from Didi Emmons
Make and share this Curried Cauliflower With Tomatoes and Tofu recipe from Food.com.
- 16 ounces firm tofu
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- kosher salt
- 1 -2 chili pepper, minced
- 2 tablespoons fresh ginger, minced
- 2 teaspoons garam masala or 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 tablespoon ground coriander
- 1 medium cauliflower
- 7 plum tomatoes, cubed
- 1⁄2 cup plain yogurt
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 tablespoon butter (optional)
- basmati rice
- Note: tomatoes should be 1/2 inch cubes, The chili peppers should be the small skinny ones. The tofu is waterpacked also called cotton. You want a brown crust. Silken ain't gonna hack it here. Divide the cauliflower into florets.
- Rice: In colander rinse 2 cups white basmati rice in cold running water for a minute or two to keep it from becoming sticky. Drain a few minutes.
- In med saucepan bring 2 2/3 cup water and scant 1 tsp kosher salt to boil. Add rice, cover and reduce to simmer. Cook for 15 minutes. Remove from heat, let stand covered for 10 minutes. Makes six cups rice.
- Press the tofu then cut into 1/2 inch cubes. In large well seasoned skillet heat 1 tbsp oil over med high. Add tofu and salt liberally. Fry until you get a dark golden crust on the bottom. NOTE make sure you press the tofu very well to get this. Also note silken is NOT going to do this. After it forms the golden crust flip it over with a spatula to do the other side. You are looking at 4 to 5 minutes per side. IF you do not press it properly, it will NOT brown no matter what you do. Transfer the browned tofu to a plate lined with paper towels.
- Add the remaining oil to skillet and add chilies, ginger, cumin, coreander and cook for 2 minutes stirring constantly.
- Add the cauliflower and 1/2 tsp kosher salt and stir fry florets until they are slightly browned about 3 to 4 minutes. Add the tomatoes and 1/2 cup water. Cover and reduce heat to low. Simmer until stems are just tender shaking the pan occasionally to keep vegetables from sticking. Cook about 10 minutes.
- Just before serving stir in tofu and heat through. Add the yogurt, cilantro and butter. Stir until heated through and season with salt to taste. Do NOT BOIL or the yogurt will curdle.
- Serve with the rice.
- Includes basic press time. The longer you press the better in this case.