Recipe by The Spice Guru
My recipe for a spicy-savory vegetarian dish.
Top Review by Sarah S.
My husband's favorite curry I have tried making. So easy and in one pot too! I omit the tomatoes, jalapeños and chili paste, because he doesn't like those... But otherwise I make it exactly how the recipe says. It is so good! We make it about once or twice a month and I finally came to write my review.
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil or 2 tablespoons light olive oil
- 1 white onion, chopped
- 2 chopped tomatoes
- 1 chopped seeded fresh jalapeno pepper
- 2 tablespoons ginger-garlic paste (or one tablespoon of each)
- 1⁄3 cup cashew pieces
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons garam masala
- 1 teaspoon chili paste (Sambal)
- 1 teaspoon unseasoned chili powder
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons sea salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 whole cauliflower (trim from stalks, cut florets into 1-inch pieces)
- 3 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 (13 1/2 ounce) can coconut milk
- 1 cup milk
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons plain yogurt
FRAGRANT EAST INDIAN BASMATI RICE (MADE EASY)
- 2 cups water
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon coconut oil or 1 teaspoon ghee or 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 -2 pinch ground cardamom
- 1 -2 pinch ground cinnamon
- 1 -2 pinch ground coriander
- 1 -2 pinch ground cumin (or whole cumin seed)
- 1 cup basmati rice
OPTIONAL RICE ADDITION (ADD BEFORE SIMMERING)
- 1⁄8 cup frozen peas
Directions See How It's Made
- PREPARE the FRAGRANT EAST INDIAN BASMATI RICE (MADE EASY) recipe here, while following the preparation instructions on Recipe #408115 (You may prepare the recipe on that page if desired, but follow only the BASIC RECIPE version): 2 cups water, 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1 teaspoon coconut oil or ghee or olive oil, 1-2 pinch ground cardamom, 1-2 pinch ground cinnamon, 1-2 pinch ground coriander, 1-2 pinch ground cumin, 1 cup basmati rice); KEEP prepared rice warmed on low heat.
- SLOWLY heat 2 tablespoons coconut oil or light olive oil in a 3 quart saucepan over medium-low heat.
- CHOP one medium onion, two medium tomatoes, and one seeded fresh jalapeno pepper; ADD to heated saucepan and stir as needed.
- MEANWHILE, trim the cauliflower florets into 1-inch pieces and add to saute mixture.
- STIR in 1/3 cup cashew pieces, 3 tablespoons chopped cilantro, 2 tablespoons ginger garlic paste, 2 teaspoons curry powder, 1 1/2 teaspoons garam masala, 1 teaspoon chili paste, 1 teaspoon unseasoned chili powder, 1 1/4 teaspoons sea salt, and 1 teaspoon sugar.
- COVER saucepan and cook mixture over medium low heat, stirring occasionally, until cauliflower is tender yet firm.
- SPRINKLE 3 tablespoons flour evenly over saute mixture; STIR until well blended.
- POUR in 1 (13.5 oz) can coconut milk and 1 cup milk.
- RAISE heat to medium and cook, stirring often, until thickened; STIR in 1 1/2 tablespoons plain yogurt; SEASON to taste with sea salt if needed.
- SERVE over steamed basmati rice; GARNISH very lightly with chopped fresh cilantro or flaked coconut if desired; ENJOY!