Prep 10 mins
Cook 50 mins
The curry adds to the usual cauliflower soup you may have had. A great flavor
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 medium celery ribs, diced
- 3 medium potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2 inch dice
- 1 head cauliflower, finely chopped
- light vegetable stock or water (as needed)
- 2 teaspoons good quality curry powder or 2 teaspoons garam masala, more or less to taste
- 1 cup low-fat milk or 1 cup soymilk, or as needed
- 1 cup steamed fresh green peas or 1 cup thawed frozen peas
- 3 tablespoons minced fresh dill or 1 tablespoon dried dill
- 1 cup firmly packed grated mild white cheese, such as monterey jack or 1 cup mozzarella style soy cheese
- fresh ground pepper
- Heat the oil and water slowly to a soup pot.
- Add the onion and celery and saute over moderately low heat until the onion is golden.
- Add the potatoes, cauliflower, and enough stock or water to barely cover.
- Stir in the curry powder or garam masala.
- Bring to a simmer, then simmer gently, covered until all the vegies are tender about 20-25 minutes.
- Remove from the heat.
- With a slotted spoon, transfer half of the solid ingredients to a food processor or blender.
- Process until smoothly pureed.
- Stir back into the remaining soup.
- Add just enough milk or soy to achieve a slightly thick consistency.
- Stir in the peas and dill, then return to low heat and bring to a gently simmer.
- Sprinkle the cheese in a bit at a time, stirring in until fairly well melted each time (soy cheese may not melt as completely) Adjust the consistency with more milk or soy if necessary, then season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Serve once the soup is heated through.