Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
Posting for ZWT. From "The Art of Indian Vegetarian Cooking" by Yamuna Devi.
Make and share this Curried Cauliflower and Potatoes (Aloo Gobi) recipe from Food.com.
- 2 hot green chili peppers, minced
- 1 1⁄2 inches piece gingerroot
- 1 tablespoon cumin seed
- 1 tablespoon black mustard seeds
- 4 tablespoons ghee or 4 tablespoons oil
- 3 medium potatoes, diced
- 1 medium cauliflower, cut into florets
- 2 medium tomatoes, diced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon turmeric
- 2 teaspoons coriander
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garam masala
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar (optional)
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 3 tablespoons coriander, coarsely chopped (cilantro)
- Combine chilies, ginger, cumin seeds and mustard seeds in a small bowl.
- Heat ghee in a large pot. When hot, add the spices. When the mustard seeds start to pop, drop in the potatoes & cauliflower.
- Fry for 4 minutes or so. Add the tomatoes, turmeric, coriander, garam masala, sugar, salt and half the coriander.
- Mix well, cover and gently heat for 15 minutes. If the vegetables start to stick, add a few drops of water.
- Top with remaining coriander and serve.
Aloo gobi is one of my all time favorite dishes, and this version definitely does it justice. I love the amount of the spices, they give it such a great flavor. I used only a tablespoon of oil and 1/4 teaspoon of salt for our tastes. Add a little squeeze of lemon, and perfection. I can see why this made it into the best of ZWT!
This is a delightful curry dish! My chili pepper was spicy so this had just the right heat for us. I used regular mustard seeds instead of black, otherwise made as directed and we really loved this - thanks for sharing the recipe! Made for ZWT8, Chefs gone WILD!