Prep 20 mins
Cook 15 mins
I have been looking for dips or spreads to serve at residents' little meetings or their get-to-gethers, when they play dominoes, bingo, or sit around and talk in the afternoons. So I saw this and I thought - maybe! I haven't used it as yet but I want to keep it here for safe-keeping. BH&G Magazine, June 2008 edition. Chill 4 hours or up to 3 days. BTW - 40cal, 1 g fat(0 g sat fat), 0 mg chol, 84 mg sodium, 6 g carbs, 2 g fiber, 2.8 g pro Daily Values: 46% vit, A, 2% vit C, 1% calcium, 2% iron.:)
- In medium covered saucepan cook carrots in small amount of boiling water, about 15 min or unti very tender.
- Meanwhile, in same skillet cook onion and garlic in hot oil until tender.
- Stir in curry powder and cumin.
- Transfer carrots and onion mixture to food processor; add beans and salt.
- Cover and process until smooth.
- Cover and refrigerate at least 4 hours, up to 3 days.
- To serve top with green onions.
- Serve with wheat crackers, triscuits or with vegetable dippers.
I was quite pleased with this recipe. I haven't had any kind of dip or spread in years but this is a tasty, lower fat (I skipped the oil and added the onion to the simmering carrots) and far more healthy option than the usual choices. The pinch of pepper flakes is quintessential and in my opinion shouldn't be left out. If you plan to use it on crackers then make it as written but if you'll be using it with veggies you might then like a tiny touch more salt.