Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
The secret here is coconut milk (good for the lactose-intolerant) plus a bay leaf and some smashed fresh ginger. From chow.com.
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- 1 medium garlic clove, smashed
- 1⁄2 inch ginger, peeled and smashed
- 1⁄2 medium onion, coarsely chopped
- 1 lb carrot, peeled and sliced into 1/4-inch-thick rounds
- 1 medium bay leaf
- 2 1⁄2 cups low sodium vegetable broth
- 1⁄2 cup coconut milk
- unsweetened flaked coconut, toasted, for garnish (optional)
- Heat oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add the curry powder and garlic, and toast until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- Add ginger, onion, carrots, bay leaf, and broth. Increase heat to medium-high and bring mixture to a boil, then reduce to medium-low and simmer until carrots are soft when pierced with a fork, about 20 minutes. Discard the bay leaf.
- Puree until smooth. Stir in coconut milk and adjust seasoning. Garnish with a few flakes of toasted coconut.