Recipe by Mary Leverington
Curry and carrots seem to go together really well so I am contributing my favorite. The curry taste is very strong so you might want to start with one teaspoon and build up to one tablespoon. Use the best curry powder you can find. It makes a big difference.
Top Review by Peachie Keene
I have been looking for a soup similar to one I had at a cafe recently, it was a curried carrot soup - and it looked like a bisque almost. This recipes ingredients are great but put together I really didn't like the taste or the texture, however the yogurt did make it taste a little better. It just didn't do it for me.
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme, crumbled
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 1⁄2 lb carrot, peeled and sliced (4 medium)
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 2 cups chicken broth or 2 cups vegetable broth
- 3 ounces cream cheese
- 1 dash cayenne
- yogurt (optional)
- lemon wedge (optional)
- 1⁄2 cup chopped Italian parsley
Directions See How It's Made
- Saute onion, thyme and bay leaf in oil in a large saucepan until tender but not browned.
- Stir in carrots and curry powder.
- Add chicken or vegetable broth and bring to a boil.
- Lower heat and simmer for about 15 minutes until the carrots are soft.
- Add cream cheese in pieces and stir until melted.
- Do not boil.
- Remove bay leaf.
- Place soup in a blender in small batches and process.
- Return to pot and reheat slightly.
- Add salt and pepper or cayenne to taste.
- Sprinkle with parsley before serving.
- If I have it on hand I usually add a heaping tablespoon of yogurt and sometimes even some fresh lemon juice.
- For Vegetarian use the vegetable broth.