Prep 5 mins
Cook 30 mins
Easy to make, delicious, and good for you. I don't even like carrots and I would happily eat a bowl or two. For a healthier version, leave out the cream (It still tastes fantastic, even without it). Feel free to use the bagged carrots sticks to cut down on prep time.
- 4 (14 1/2 ounce) cans chicken broth (use vegetable broth for vegetarian or vegan version) or 4 (14 1/2 ounce) cans vegetable broth (use vegetable broth for vegetarian or vegan version)
- 2 lbs carrots, cleaned and cut into 2 inch lengths
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon butter (or oil for vegans)
- 2 1⁄2 tablespoons curry powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 3⁄4 cup cream (skip for vegans) (optional)
- salt and pepper
- Saute in a large pot, the onion with the butter until translucent. Add the broth and carrots and bring to a boil.
- Add all the spices and continue to boil until the carrots are cooked through.
- In a food processor or blender, puree the soup until the texture is smooth. You will need to do this in batches so that it doesn't over flow.
- Return to the pot and stir, adjusting the salt and pepper if needed. Mix in the cream for a creamy and indulgent version. Serve hot.
This was one good soup!! I did cut the curry in half and it was just enough bite for my tastes. The rest I left as is. I swirled a little coconut milk in each bowl. Thanks so much!
I whizzed this together in no time using canned carrots and a Vitamix. Left out the cream. I adjusted the recipe to add more carrots and less broth, for a thicker soup. I don't even really like carrots (especially not canned carrots) and I ate this soup for two days straight. My BF is very skeptical of vegetables, but he was rather impressed by this soup. He said it reminded him of puréed squash, and that he might like it better sweetened, with cinnamon.