Prep 20 mins
Cook 25 mins
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 medium onions, chopped (2 cups)
- 1 large green bell pepper, chopped (1 cup)
- 1 stalk celery, chopped (1/2 cup)
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 -4 teaspoons curry powder
- 3 cups milk
- 12 cups half-and-half
- 1⁄2-1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 4 cups shredded fresh carrots (about 6 carrots)
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro, optional
- In 5-quart Dutch oven or soup pot, melt butter.
- Add onions, pepper and celery and sauté until vegetables start to brown.
- Stir flour and curry powder to taste into onion mixture until smooth.
- Gradually add milk, half-and-half, 1/2 teaspoon salt and the pepper.
- Bring to a boil, stirring constantly until thickened; cook 5 minutes.
- Stir in carrots.
- Return to a boil; cook 5 minutes.
- Taste and add more salt, if necessary.
- Top with cilantro, if desired, and serve.