Yummy yummy. Wholesome crab cakes. The only "filler" in this are pureed carrots, chickpeas, scallions, and asparagus. Not much bread-action going on, but plenty of flavor. Cook time accounts for cooking option 1 (skillet). Prep accounts for chopping. RSC4
- 13 baby carrots, steamed
- 1⁄2 cup chickpeas, drained (cooked or canned)
- 1⁄2 limes or 1⁄2 lemon, juice of
- 1 clove garlic
- 1⁄4-1⁄3 lb imitation crabmeat, chopped
- 3 large asparagus spears, chopped,divided
- 1 scallion, chopped,divided
- 3⁄8 teaspoon curry powder
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cayenne pepper (or more if you like the heat ;)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cumin
- black pepper, to taste
- 3 slices whole wheat bread, toasted,made into crumbs,divided (put half in a shallow bowl or plate)
- Puree first 4 ingredients together to smooth consistency.
- Add in half of the asparagus and half the scallions and pulse.
- Put mixture into a medium mixing bowl.
- Mix in crab, remaining asparagus and scallions, seasonings, and half the breadcrumbs.
- The mixture will be sticky, but form into 6 patties and coat with remaining breadcrumbs.
- Shake on oregano liberally on both sides and black pepper, to taste.
- **TWOOPTIONS** Cook in a nonstick skillet with a little water and veggie broth (or cooking spray).
- OR bake at 375*F for 20 minutes, flipping once halfway through.
- Enjoy as is or as a sandwich.