Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
Similar to hummus in taste and texture but without the high fat tahini. Great on melba toast, veggies, herbed crackers... From Diabetic Living, Summer 2005. Use very fresh, preferably farm fresh/organic carrots if at all possible.
- 3 cups sliced carrots
- 3⁄4 cup onion (seasonal onions are good-such as Walla Walla or Vidalia!)
- 2 -3 garlic cloves, finely minced
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon homemade curry powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 (15 ounce) can cannellini beans, rinsed and drained (white kidney beans)
- 1⁄2 jalapeno, chopped
- 1⁄2 lemon, juice of, to taste
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- thinly sliced green onions or snipped fresh chives
- In a saucepan boil the carrots until tender. Drain and reserve about 2/3 cup of the cooking liquid.
- In a small skillet over medium heat, saute the onion and garlic in the oil until softened. Stir in the curry powder and cumin powder.
- Transfer the cooked carrots and onion mixture to a food processor or blender. Add the drained beans, jalapeno and salt. Cover and process until smooth. If the machine is laboring, add some of the cooking liquid from the carrots.
- Transfer the dip to a serving bowl, stir in the lemon juice and cover well. Chill until serving time.
- When ready to serve, garnish the dip with sliced green onions or snipped chives.