Prep 20 mins
Cook 15 mins
A quick, healthy, vegetarian appetizer
- 2 cups sliced carrots
- 3⁄4 cup chopped onion
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil or 2 tablespoons cooking oil
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 (15 ounce) canwhite cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- thinly sliced green onion (optional)
- In a covered medium saucepan, cook carrots in a small amount of boiling water about 15 minutes or until very tender. Drain.
- Meanwhile, in a small skillet, cook onion and garlic in hot oil until tender. Stir in curry powder and cumin. Transfer carrots and onion mixture to a food processor; add white kidney beans and salt. Cover and process until smooth. Transfer to a serving bowl; cover and chill for 4 hours to 3 days. Tote spread, vegetable dippers (if using), and sliced green onion (if using) in an insulated cooler with ice packs. Tote crackers, melba toast, and French bread slices (if using) in an airtight container.
- To serve, garnish with green onion. Serve with crackers, melba toast, toasted French bread slices, or vegetable dippers.
- Makes 3 cups spread.
I made this to take along for Christmas lunch with the family but there was so much food nobody had a chance to try it. Mum kept it & shared it with her friends on NYE & she said everyone really enjoyed it. I'll have to make some for us now :)
YUM!! What a delightful dip!! I nuked my carrots in the microwave but made the rest of the recipe as directed. The warmer weather is coming and this will be served at many a BBQ I'm sure. I served mine with Turkish bread...but the options are unlimited.Reviewed for PAC Fall 2007.