- 50 g yellow split peas, soaked overnight in cold water
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- 225 g carrots, chopped
- 1 potato, chopped
- 1 red chili, deseeded and chopped
- 15 ml sunflower oil
- 5 ml grated fresh gingerroot
- 7 1⁄2 ml hot curry paste
- salt and pepper
- double cream, to serve (optional)
- chopped chives, for garnishing (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Bring the split peas to the boil and boil steadily for 10 minutes. Reduce the heat, cover and simmer gently for 30 minutes.
- Heat the oil in a pan, add the onion, garlic, ginger and chili and fry, stirring, for 10 minutes until evenly browned.
- Stir in the curry paste, carrots and potato and fry for a further 5 minutes.
- .Add the curried vegetable mixture to the split peas. Return to the boil, cover and simmer for a further 35 minutes until the vegetables and peas are tender.
- Transfer to a blender or food processor and work until fairly smooth. Return to the pan, season with salt and pepper to taste and heat through.
- Garnish with dollops of cream and chives.