Curried Calf's Liver (Kaleja Kari)
- Combine the liver, yogurt and 1 teaspoons of the salt in a bowl, and turn the liver strips about with a spoon until they are evenly coated. Set aside at room temperature and marinate about 30 minute.
- In a heavy 10-12 inch skillet, heat 4 Tblsp. of ghee over high heat until a drop of water flicked into it splutters instantly. Stir in the ginger, then garlic. Add the onions and lower the heat to mod. Stirring constantly, fry the mixture for 7-8 min., until the onions are soft and golden brown.
- Add the coriander and turmeric, stir for 1 min., and pour in tomatoes and remaining 2 teaspoons of salt. Stirring constantly, fry for about 2 minutes longer. Drain the marinade from the liver into the skillet, add the cardamom, cover tightly, and simmer over low heat for 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat the remaining 2 Tblsp .of ghee in a separate 10-12 inch skillet. Drop in the liver and, turning the strips constantly, fry over moderate heat for 3 minutes, or until they are delicately browned on all sides.
- Then stir them into the simmering tomato mixture and bring to a boil over high heat. Immediately remove the pan from the heat and transfer the entire contents of the skillet to a heated platter or bowl. Sprinkle the top with red pepper and serve at once.