Found on alleasyrecipes.com. Posted for ZWT8-India.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/2 lbs calf liver, sliced 1/2 inch thick and cut into 3/4 inch wide strips
- 1/2 cup plain yogurt
- 3 teaspoons salt
- 6 tablespoons ghee
- 2 tablespoons scraped finely chopped gingerroot
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped garlic
- 2 cups finely chopped onions
- 2 tablespoons ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 cup fresh tomato puree made from 3 medium size ripe tomato (washed, chopped and rubbed through a fine sieve or food mill)
- 1/8 teaspoon cardamom seed, crushed with a mortar and pestle
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
- 1Combine the liver, yogurt and 1 teaspoons of the salt in a bowl, and turn the liver strips about with a spoon until they are evenly coated. Set aside at room temperature and marinate about 30 minute.
- 2In a heavy 10-12 inch skillet, heat 4 Tblsp. of ghee over high heat until a drop of water flicked into it splutters instantly. Stir in the ginger, then garlic. Add the onions and lower the heat to mod. Stirring constantly, fry the mixture for 7-8 min., until the onions are soft and golden brown.
- 3Add the coriander and turmeric, stir for 1 min., and pour in tomatoes and remaining 2 teaspoons of salt. Stirring constantly, fry for about 2 minutes longer. Drain the marinade from the liver into the skillet, add the cardamom, cover tightly, and simmer over low heat for 5 minutes.
- 4Meanwhile, heat the remaining 2 Tblsp .of ghee in a separate 10-12 inch skillet. Drop in the liver and, turning the strips constantly, fry over moderate heat for 3 minutes, or until they are delicately browned on all sides.
- 5Then stir them into the simmering tomato mixture and bring to a boil over high heat. Immediately remove the pan from the heat and transfer the entire contents of the skillet to a heated platter or bowl. Sprinkle the top with red pepper and serve at once.
Browse Our Top Beef Liver Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Curried Calf's Liver (Kaleja Kari)
Serving Size: 1 (94 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 163.8
- Calories from Fat 125
- Total Fat 13.9 g
- Saturated Fat 8.4 g
- Cholesterol 35.4 mg
- Sodium 1177.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 9.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.3 g
- Sugars 4.0 g
- Protein 2.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included: