Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This is from one of my favourite cook books, The Vegetarian Epicure (book2), by Anna Thomas. It is a recipe I do often as its economical, low cal and very tasty. When I'm not on a diet I serve it with naan bread! However I normally just eat it on its own. Just entered it because I wanted to get the nutritional values for it!
- 1 medium head green cabbage
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil (although I only use 2)
- 1 teaspoon crushed dried red chili
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1⁄2 teaspoon whole mustard seeds
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cumin
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 cup water
- 2 1⁄2 cups fresh peas (or frozen)
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons garam masala
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sugar
- 1 -2 tablespoon yogurt (optional)
- Shred the cabbage coarsley.
- Measure out the crushed red chilis, ginger, mustard seeds, cumin, bay leaves, coriander, turmeric, and salt.
- Heat the vegetable oil in a large skillet (I use a large saucepan) and stir in the prepared spices. Heat the spices gently for about 2 minutes stirring often.
- Add the shredded cabbage and saute it stirring often, until it is all evenly coated with the spices and beginning to wilt, 10 to 15 minutes.
- Add the water and the peas, cover, and cook over medium heat for 20 minutes.
- Remove the cover, stir in the butter, garam masala, lemon juice, and sugar, and simmer uncovered, for another 10 to 15 minutes. There should be very little or no excess liquid at this point. ( although I like to leave some because I think it's delicious!).
- Stir in a little yogurt if desired and serve hot with rice and raita.