Prep 20 mins
Cook 35 mins
Curry, coconut, squashy goodness.
- 1 small butternut squash, peeled and dice 1/2-inch
- 1 medium onion, minced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon gingerroot, minced
- 1 large lime, juice and zest of
- 1 tablespoon yellow curry powder
- 2 teaspoons thai red chili paste
- 4 cups low sodium vegetable broth
- 12 ounces coconut milk
- 1⁄3 cup brown rice
- 1 tablespoon peanut oil
- To prepare the squash: After peeling, halve and scoop out the seeds, then dice into 1/2-inch cubes. You should have 3-4 cups.
- Heat the oil in a soup pot, add onion, squash, garlic, ginger, lime zest, and curry powder. Cook over medium-high heat, stirring frequently, for 15 minutes.
- Add the chili paste along with 1/2 cup water, stirring to mix.
- Then add broth. bring to boil, then reduce heat to low, cover pot, and simmer for 10 minutes. Then add the rice and simmer another 10-15 minutes until rice is cooked.
- Add coconut milk, then heat through. Salt to taste.
- Just before serving, stir in the lime juice.
- For extra kick, add more chili paste!