Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This soup is smooth as silk and just right on a cold winters day!
Make and share this Curried Butternut Squash Soup recipe from Food.com.
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped (about 2 Cups)
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (2 1/2 lb) butternut squash, peeled, seeded and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 6 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 tablespoons butter
- plain low-fat yogurt (to garnish)
- Heat oil over medium heat in a 6qt stockpot.
- Add onions and garlic and saute until soft, about 6 to 7 minutes.
- Add squash, broth, curry powder and salt and pepper and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer until squash is tender, about 15 to 20 minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in honey and butter and puree until smooth.
- Reseason with salt and pepper to taste.
- Ladle into serving bowls and add a dollop of yogurt.
Delicious! I used chicken stock instead of chicken broth because that's all I had in my pantry and it worked out just fine. However, I'd suggest cutting down on the amount of liquid used- the soup was a little runnier than I expected. I sprinkled some cinnamon on to serve- yum!
This is an excellent soup - very flavourful and nice and thick. I made a few changes, and the soup turned out great. Here they are: I used 4 cups of good quality veggie broth and 2 cups of tomato soup (I ran out of veggie broth, but the soup seemed to work nicely). I cut the honey down to one tablespoon, and I used 1 tbsp of curry powder and 1/2 tbsp of garam masala for the spices - I didn't need to add salt or pepper, or the butter, which cut down the fat content! An awesome fall soup!
A great tasting soup and easy to make. I used vegetable broth to make it vegetarian and omitted the honey as I wanted a more savoury soup. I much prefer this recipe to the other curried butternut squash soup recipes posted because the others contain apples and end up too sweet. This is a good one for those who like their squash soup a bit more savoury but still buttery smooth and delicious. :)