Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
To make this into a vegetarian soup use vegetable broth (see my Vegetable Stock (Low Fat)) adjust all seasonings to taste. One medium onion can be replaced for the leek if desired.
- 3 tablespoons butter or 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large leek, chopped
- 1 stalk celery, diced
- 1 -2 tablespoon fresh garlic (or to taste)
- 1 -2 teaspoon dried red pepper flakes (or to taste)
- 3 teaspoons sugar
- 2 -3 tablespoons curry powder (or to taste)
- 2 teaspoons cumin (or to taste)
- 3 lbs butternut squash, peeled and chopped
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 2 granny smith apples, peeled and chopped
- 1⁄3 cup evaporated milk or 1⁄3 cup whipping cream
- salt and black pepper, to taste
- crouton (optional)
- Heat the butter in a large pot over medium heat; add in the leek, celery, garlic, red pepper flakes, sugar, curry powder and cumin; cook stirring for 3-4 minutes.
- Add in the chopped butternut squash, broth (or water) and apples; bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer for 30-40 minutes or until the squash is tender.
- Place half of the broth in a blender; process until smooth; transfer to a heat-proof bowl.
- Repeat with the remaining soup; return to the pot along with the soup from the bowl.
- Add in evaporated milk or whipping cream; cook for 2-3 minutes to heat through.
- Season with salt and lots black pepper.
- Ladle into bowls and sprinkle with croutons.
This is a fantastic soup and vbery easy to make. Great recipe.
This DEFINATELY works for me! Is a GREAT, GREAT recipe! FANTASTIC as is, TRUE! When making, I started talking to myself too! Saying IRON CHEF, want to KNOW your secret ingredient for the day? YES CHEF, and 200g smooth peanut butter was in the pot, okay? lol Used chicken stock, omitted salt as it is included too! Might have gone a bit over re chilli, but is personal tastes too! Made this for my Xmas in July, BECAUSE IT'S KITTENCAL'S!!!! That's why!!! :) Thanks!
A lovely tasting soup with a nice curry flavor, slightly sweet. I used vegetable broth and only used about 1/4 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes. Thanks Kitten!