Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
To make this into a vegetarian soup use vegetable broth (see my Vegetable Stock (Low Fat)) adjust all seasonings to taste. One medium onion can be replaced for the leek if desired.
- 3 tablespoons butter or 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large leek, chopped
- 1 stalk celery, diced
- 1 -2 tablespoon fresh garlic (or to taste)
- 1 -2 teaspoon dried red pepper flakes (or to taste)
- 3 teaspoons sugar
- 2 -3 tablespoons curry powder (or to taste)
- 2 teaspoons cumin (or to taste)
- 3 lbs butternut squash, peeled and chopped
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 2 granny smith apples, peeled and chopped
- 1⁄3 cup evaporated milk or 1⁄3 cup whipping cream
- salt and black pepper, to taste
- crouton (optional)
- Heat the butter in a large pot over medium heat; add in the leek, celery, garlic, red pepper flakes, sugar, curry powder and cumin; cook stirring for 3-4 minutes.
- Add in the chopped butternut squash, broth (or water) and apples; bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer for 30-40 minutes or until the squash is tender.
- Place half of the broth in a blender; process until smooth; transfer to a heat-proof bowl.
- Repeat with the remaining soup; return to the pot along with the soup from the bowl.
- Add in evaporated milk or whipping cream; cook for 2-3 minutes to heat through.
- Season with salt and lots black pepper.
- Ladle into bowls and sprinkle with croutons.