Prep 10 mins
Cook 25 mins
This recipe is based on one from 1001 Essential Recipes, but I tweaked it a little, using squash instead of pumpkin and adding a few different spices. It's got a very gentle flavour and would be a great starter for an evening meal or even just for lunch.
- 1 kg butternut squash
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1⁄2 white onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 10 baby carrots, chopped
- 900 ml chicken broth
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, grated
- salt and pepper
- Quarter the squash, clean it out, and put olive oil, salt and pepper on the inside and cook in the microwave until soft (about 5 minutes).
- In a large pot, heat rest of olive oil and fry onions and carrots with curry powder.
- Peel and chop squash into cubes and add to the onion mixture.
- Add chicken broth and bring to a boil. Simmer for 20 minutes
- Take the pot off the heat and melt in cheese, stirring.
- Let cool until lukewarm, then puree in the blender or with a hand blender. Add salt and pepper to taste.