Prep 25 mins
Cook 1 hr
A wonderful recipe given to me by a great teacher I work with. If you like curry you'll love this!
- 2 lbs butternut squash
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons gingerroot, grated
- 2 cups cooked chicken, cubed
- 1 (14 ounce) can chicken broth
- 1 (13 1/2 ounce) can light coconut milk
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 2 -3 teaspoons curry powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 cups brown rice, cooked
- 1⁄4 cup fresh cilantro, snipped
- 1⁄4 cup cashews, chopped
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Cut squash in half lengthwise and remove seeds. Arrange cut side down in a 9 x 13 baking dish.
- Bake for 30 minutes. Turn over and bake, covered, for 20-25 minutes.
- When cooled, scoop the pulp into a medium bowl and mash slightly. Set aside.
- In a large saucepan, saute onion in oil for 3-4 minutes.
- Add garlic and ginger and saute for 2 minutes.
- Carefully stir in squash, chicken, broth, coconut milk, water, curry powder, salt and pepper.
- Cook over medium heat until heated through.
- To serve, spoon over rice and sprinkle with cilantro and cashews.
Quite tasty, easy and creamy, and great with the rice! I did find it rather too gingery, even though I reduced the ginger to about 1 Tbsp or so. But I'm still looking forward to leftovers! I also omitted the chicken for a vegetarian soup. Thanks!