Recipe by mermaidmagic
A Cuisinart slow cooker recipe. Use vegetable stock instead of chicken stock for a vegetarian alternative.
Top Review by rmemom
I found this soup to be delightful and easy as pie. I too confess to using uncooked rice, (the recipe wasn't clear) but the end result left me wondering if it was a mistake at all. After pureeing, it was like silk. I thoroughy enjoyed evry bite. Oh, and I used half chicken and half vegetable stock.
- 29.58 ml unsalted butter
- 473.18 ml onions, chopped
- 118.29 ml celery, thinly sliced
- 14.79 ml curry powder
- 2.46 ml ginger
- 1360.77 g butternut squash, peeled, seeded, and cut into 1 inch cubes (weigh after peeling & seeding)
- 453.59 g apple, peeled, cored &, cut into wedges
- 59.14 ml white rice
- 1419.54 ml chicken stock
- 4.92 ml kosher salt
- 2.46 ml fresh ground pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- In a skillet, melt butter over medium heat.
- Add onions& celery and cook for 2 to 3 minutes, until the vegetables are translucent.
- Add curry powder and ginger and cook for 5 to 6 minutes longer over low heat, until veggies are softened and spices are fragrant.
- Place butternut squash, apples, and rice in slow cooker (in that order).
- Add veggie mixture from skillet.
- Add chicken stock, salt and pepper.
- Cook on high for 1 hour, then reduce to low temperature and cook 5 additional hours.
- Puree the soup to a completely smooth texture with hand blender or blender.