Prep 5 mins
Cook 35 mins
Butternuts a very popular here in South Africa and this is one of my Favourite recipes
Make and share this Curried Butternut soup recipe from Food.com.
- 2 lbs butternut squash, peeled and cut into chunks
- 4 cups chicken or 4 cups vegetable stock
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 large onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 2 cups button mushrooms, sliced
- 1 tablespoon mild to medium curry powder
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar
- 1 dash turmeric
- 2 tablespoons brandy
- 1⁄2 cup natural yoghurt
- Simmer butternut in chicken stock in a covered pot until soft, then purée.
- Melt butter in pan and fry the onion and mushroom in the butter until soft.
- Add flour and curry powder and stir over low heat for about four minutes.
- Add butternut to the onion and mushroom mix and bring to a gentle boil.
- Add salt, black pepper and sugar.
- Stir in the yoghurt and the brandy, but don't let it boil.
- Serve in heated soup dishes.
Gr8 soup! Have tried many variations and this was one of my favourite. Must admit though, I replaced yoghurt for cream. . . .Thank you fellow South African!
I was apprehensive about curry and yogurt AND Brandy in one dish but this soup is Delicious! My husband loved it and has declared it his new favourite! I served the sautÃ©ed mushrooms separately for the fungi phobic members of the family and found the portion I had without the mushrooms was nicer than the one with mushrooms!