Prep 10 mins
Cook 25 mins
was born out of an initial recipe fail. I usually don't like quinoa but the taste is masked here and it really adds to the texture of the soup!
- 1 1⁄2 cups dry quinoa, rinsed
- 6 cups vegetable broth (plus more for quinoa)
- 1 medium butternut squash (6 cups chopped) or 1 medium kabocha squash (6 cups chopped)
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1 small onion
- 2 teaspoons Thai red curry paste
- 1⁄2 cup coconut milk
- 1⁄2 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- Cook the quinoa according to package directions, using broth instead of water. When done, stir in the 1/2 cup cheddar until melted inches.
- Bring the 6 cups broth to a boil in a large pot. Peel and roughly chop the squash, garlic, and onion. Add to the pot of boiling broth. Cover and cook for 10-15 minutes or until squash is fork-tender. Optional: Set aside a cup of squash if you want to have pieces of squash in your soup for texture, if you want a totally smooth soup, add all of the squash.
- Blend the soup with an immersion blender or in small batches in a blender. Add the curry paste, coconut milk, and salt. Puree again until incorporated.
- Pour the broth over the quinoa and stir together.