Prep 20 mins
Cook 45 mins
From the Healthmatters section in Highmark Blue Cross newsletter.
- 2 cups onions, chopped
- 1 celery rib
- 1⁄4 cup reduced fat margarine (or butter)
- 4 teaspoons curry powder
- 2 medium butternut squash, peeled, seeded, cubed
- 3 medium apples, peeled, cored, chopped
- 3 cups water (chicen stock or vegetable broth)
- 1 cup cider
- In heavy kettle, combine onions, celery, margarine and curry powder. Cover and cook over low heat until vegetables are tender (10-15 mine), stirring often.
- Add cubed squash, chopped apples and liquid (water, stock, or broth) and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer 20-30 minutes or until squash and apples are cooked thoroughly.
- Strain liquid and set aside. Puree the apple-squash mixture with 1 cup of strained liquid. Add cider and remaining liquid to reach desired consistency.
- Garnish with grated apple, yogurt, or low-fat sour cream.