Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
This recipe was an experiment that really worked. It's our new favorite brussels sprouts preparation. The secret is to caramelize the brussels sprouts. The Indian spices give the sprouts a nice zing. But it's not too spicy hot. I use Chhaya's All Purpose Curry Powder, but you could use any South Indian spice mixture. Chhayas' mix consists of roasted and ground corriander, chili and channa dal.
- Saute onions in oil until transparent.
- Add brussels sprouts and cook on medium heat until starting to brown, but aren't charred.
- Add salt and the all-purpose curry powder.
- Add water, cover, and steam until water is absorbed and the sprouts are brown, soft, and creamy.
- Heat 1/4 teaspoon oil in a small pan.
- When hot, add the mustard seeds.
- When they start to pop or turn grey, add the urad dal. Cook until dal is light brown. (You can omit the urad dal if you don't have any handy.).
- Pour "sputtered" ingredients into the sprouts.
- Add squeezed lemon juice and stir and serve.