Prep 10 mins
Cook 35 mins
Easy. One Dish. Fast. An adjusted version of the recipe found in an old edition of Better Homes and Gardens New Cook Book. My family recently turned vegetarian and this has become one of our staples. Unless you use an extremely potent curry powder (or increase amount), the recipe won't come out spicy.
- 1419.54 ml chopped broccoli (or 1 16oz. package frozen cut broccoli)
- 236.59 ml sliced carrot
- 1 large yellow onion, chopped
- 1 large red pepper, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 297.66 g can cream of mushroom soup
- 118.29 ml shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 29.58 ml milk
- 4.92 ml curry powder
- Place fresh Broccoli and Carrots, covered, in a steamer and cook for 8-10 minutes, or until tender-crisp. If using frozen broccoli and carrots, cook according to package instructions.
- Drain Vegetables well.
- In a 2 quart casserole dish, combine Onion, Red Pepper, Garlic, Soup, Cheese, Milk, and Curry Powder. Mix in Broccoli and Carrots.
- Season with Salt and Pepper to taste.
- Begin crushing Saltines, one at a time, over the casserole. Continue crushing and spreading until top is covered well.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350 degrees for 30 to 35 minutes.
- Remove from oven and place under Broiler set to Low for 2 minutes, or until Saltines become just a little brown (as a note, they burn fast, so keep an eye on them!).