Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
Quick, easy , delicious and nutritious.
- 1 leek, trimmed and cleaned, thinly sliced
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- 3 teaspoons mild curry powder or 3 teaspoons curry paste
- 6 cups chicken stock
- 700 g broccoli, chopped
- 1⁄3 cup evaporated low-fat milk
- In a large pan or saucepan cook the leek, onion, garlic and curry powder in half a cup of the chicken stock for about 5 minutes.
- Add the broccoli and the remaining chicken stock.
- Simmer for about 15 minutes.
- Allow to cool and then blend in a food processor until smooth.
- Stir in the evaporated milk.
- Reheat but do not boil.
I substituted 1/3 cup lowfat, plain yogurt for the evaporated milk. Yummy. My 2.5 year old liked it too and she isn't big on green food.
This is exactly what I was looking for. The only thing: next time I will only use 4 cups stock cuz I like it a little thicker. Thanks for sharing Scott :)
This recipe as is was a little too bland for me. I added more onion and garlic and more curry powder, as well as some ginger as I cooked and tasted this soup. I also used half-and-half instead of evaporated milk, and in effort to step up the creaminess of this recipe, added more than was called for (offset by adding less stock) as well as some butter and cheddar cheese. It ended up being tasty in the end, but in the future, I'll just start with a broccoli soup recipe and add curry powder.