Recipe by Sweet Diva MJ
From Taste of Home. We look forward to this dinner in the fall . The savory beef tucked inside tender acorn squash halves is a satisfying autumn combination. Plus, it's a healthy entree and very flavorful - my kids enjoy eating fun-looking foods like this one.
Top Review by UmmBinat
This was a delicious Autumn meal for DH and I, however I did make a number of changes. I used 2 extra garlic cloves, no beef boullion because of allergies but I added some homemade chicken stock for the water in the meat mixture and also cooked the rice in chicken stock to make it more flavourful. I first cooked the onions lightly in extra virgin olive oil before adding the ground beef out of preference. I used Recipe #104344 which is a sweet curry powder in more than double the amount. I sprinkled a little extra brown sugar over the squash before stuffing it and used sea salt for the salt. I added a dash of cinnamon and some freshly ground black pepper along with the other spices and a handful of dark raisins and some pine nuts to the meat when it was almost done. I would love to make this the same way again.
- 3 medium acorn squash, halved and seeded (about 1 pound each)
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1⁄2 cup onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon beef bouillon granules
- 1⁄2 cup hot water
- 1⁄2 cup cooked rice
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 tablespoon orange juice concentrate
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
Directions See How It's Made
- Invert squash in a greased 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan.
- Bake,uncovered, at 350 for 35-45 minutes or until almost tender.
- Meanwhile, in a skillet, cook beef, onion and garlic over medium heat until meat is no longer pink and onion is tender; drain.
- Dissolve bouillon in water; add to skillet. Stir in remaining ingredients; mix well. Turn squash cut side up in pan and fill with meat mixture.
- Fill pan with hot water to a depth of 1/4 in.; cover loosely with foil.
- Bake at 350 for 20-30 minutes or until heated through.
- Yield: 6 servings.