6 hrs 15 mins
Cooking Light, MARCH 2009
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 2 lbs beef short ribs, trimmed
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper, divided
- 1/3 cup minced shallot
- 3 tablespoons minced garlic
- 3 tablespoons minced peeled fresh ginger
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 tablespoons red curry paste
- 1/4 cup light coconut milk
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- 1 teaspoon grated lime rind
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 4 cups hot cooked basmati rice
- 1Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Sprinkle ribs with 3/4 teaspoon salt and 1/8 teaspoon pepper.
- 2Add half of ribs to pan; cook 2 minutes on each side or until browned. Place ribs in an electric slow cooker. Repeat procedure with remaining ribs.
- 3Add shallots, garlic, and ginger to pan; sauté 2 minutes. Stir in 1/4 cup water and curry paste; cook 1 minute. Stir in coconut milk, sugar, and fish sauce. Add coconut milk mixture to cooker. Cover and cook on LOW 6 hours.
- 4Remove ribs from cooker; keep warm. Strain cooking liquid through a colander over a bowl; discard solids. Place a zip-top plastic bag inside a 2-cup glass measure.
- 5Pour cooking liquid into bag; let stand 10 minutes (fat will rise to the top). Seal bag; carefully snip off 1 bottom corner of bag.
- 6Drain drippings into a small bowl, stopping before fat layer reaches opening; discard fat. Stir in remaining 3/4 teaspoon salt, remaining 1/8 teaspoon pepper, rind, and juice.
- 7Shred rib meat with 2 forks; discard bones. Serve sauce over ribs and rice.
Browse Our Top Meat Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Curried Beef Short Ribs
Serving Size: 1 (298 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 761.8
- Calories from Fat 509
- Total Fat 56.6 g
- Saturated Fat 24.0 g
- Cholesterol 114.9 mg
- Sodium 745.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 35.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.6 g
- Sugars 2.3 g
- Protein 25.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
red curry paste
light coconut milk