1/1 Photo of Curried Beef Kebabs With Brown Basmati Rice
Based on a recipe from Weight Watchers’ Momentum Cookbook. “Look for brown basmati rice at your supermarket. Although it takes about 20 minutes longer to cook than white basmati rice, its enticing nutty flavor, extra fiber, and appealing texture make it worth the extra time. This recipe works with the Simply Filling technique.” Per serving (2 skewers and ¾ cup rice): 435 Cal, 8 g Fat, 2 g Sat Fat, 0 g Trans Fat, 92 mg Chol, 1035 mg Sod, 46 g Carb, 2 g Fib, 42 g Prot, 39 mg Calc. The first time I made this I screwed up by tossing the oil and curry powder with the rice! It will be so much better as written by tossing with the meat and vegetables before skewering them. Also, I don't like this as well with beef; I will use either lamb or chicken; lamb would really give this some added flavor and is truer to its Middle Eastern roots.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 cup brown basmati rice
- 1 1/4 lbs boneless sirloin steaks or 1 1/4 lbs lamb or 1 1/4 chicken, trimmed and cut into 1-inch chunks
- 1 red onion, quartered and separated into slices
- 1 yellow squash, sliced
- 4 baby pattypan squash, halved
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 2 1/2 teaspoons curry powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup lightly packed fresh cilantro leaves
- 1Prepare rice according to package directions omitting salt if desired.
- 2Prepare broiler rack by spraying with nonstick spray; preheat the broiler.
- 3In large bowl, toss all the remaining ingredients together except for the cilantro.
- 4Thread the beef, onion, and squash alternately on 8 (12-inch) metal skewers. Place the skewers on the prepared broiler rack and broil 5 inches from the heat, turning occasionally, until an instant-read thermometer inserted into a chunk of beef registers 145°F for medium-rare, about 10 minutes. Serve with rice and garnish with cilantro.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Curried Beef Kebabs With Brown Basmati Rice
Serving Size: 1 (270 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 400.3
- Calories from Fat 87
- Total Fat 9.7 g
- Saturated Fat 2.6 g
- Cholesterol 85.0 mg
- Sodium 524.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 40.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.0 g
- Sugars 2.8 g
- Protein 36.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included: