Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 15 mins
Cook 2 hrs
"Katmandu, I'm goin' to Katmandu" ...I have the song in my head now...This is from a community style cookbook submitted by Elaine Waddington.
- 4 lbs beef stew meat
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 1⁄4 cup oil
- 2 large onions, peeled and sliced
- 1 medium tart apple, pared, cored, chopped
- 3⁄4 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1⁄4 teaspoon powdered ginger
- 2 tablespoons curry powder
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 3 cups beef bouillon
- 2 tablespoons tomato puree or 2 tablespoons condensed tomato soup
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 cup nuts, crushed, for garnish
- 1⁄2 cup coconut, for garnish
- 1⁄2 cup raisins, for garnish
- Remove all fat from the meat.
- Dredge meat with flour.
- Heat oil in large frying pan which is deep or use a Dutch oven.
- Saute onions and garlic in oil until the onions are transparent.
- Add meat, apple, seasonings, bouillon, tomato puree.
- Cover and let simmer 1-2 hours, or until meat is tender; if necessary add more bouillon stock.
- Skim off excess fat.
- Serve over rice with crushed nuts, coconut and raisins on the side.