Recipe by daisygrl64
This is a spicy dish, but yet sweet with the addition of the sweet potatoes and plantains. Serve as a stew with roti or nana bread, Or atop of rice to stretch for more servings.
Top Review by Peachie Keene
This was yummy; however we only prefered it freshly cooked. It was not nearly as good the next day. I actually could not get my hands on any plantains but had planned on preparing this recipe anyhow, so instead I used 2 underripe bananas and added them to the dish a mere 10 minutes before completion (since bananas cook much faster than plantains). I also used 2 TBS of curry powder rather than paste. Unique and delicious dish!
- 1 1⁄2 lbs stewing beef
- 2 sweet potatoes, peeled and diced into 1/2 inch pieces
- 1 (13 ounce) can coconut milk
- 2 plantains, peeled and diced
- 1 (19 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1⁄2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons yellow curry paste
- salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- in a dutch oven heat 1 tablespoon of oil over medium, high heat.
- brown beef, remove from pan and put aside.
- clean pan.
- add other tablespoon of oil, fry onions, garlic, red pepper flakes until onions are soft.
- add curry paste, stir.
- add tomatoes, bring to a boil, scraping up brown bits from bottom of pan.
- reduce heat to medium, add coconut milk.
- return beef to pan.
- add salt and pepper.
- cover and simmer until beef is tender.
- add sweet potatoes and plantains.
- cover and simmer for 20 minutes.
- uncover and simmer, and stir a few times until thicken and potatoes and plantains are cooked.