Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
Mildly spiced dish with the sweetness of plantains and sweet potatoes. Use green plantains which are firmer and won't fall apart during the cooking. Serve over basmati rice. Found in old Canadian Living magazine
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 2 lbs stew beef chunks
- 2 chopped onions
- 4 minced garlic cloves
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons curry paste
- 19 ounces tomatoes
- 400 ml light coconut milk
- 1 lb peeled and sliced plantain
- 1 1⁄2 lbs peeled and chunked sweet potatoes
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh coriander
- In shallow dutch oven heat 1 Tbsp of oil over medium-high heat.
- Brown beef in batches.
- Transfer to plate when browned.
- Drain off any fat in pan.
- Add remaining oil to pan and fry onuion, garlic, salt and pepper over medium-high heat until softened.
- Add curry paste and cook stirring for 1 minute.
- Add tomatoes and bring to a boil breaking up tomatoes with a spoon and scraping up brown bits from the bottom of the pan.
- Reduce heat to medium and add coconut milk.
- Return beef any accumulated juices to pan.
- Cover and simmer for about 1 1/2 hours or until meat is tender.
- Add plantains and sweet potatoes and simmer covered for 20 minutes.
- Uncover and simmer stirring occasionally until thickened and potatoes and plantains are tender.
- Sprinkle with coriander.