Recipe by Geema
A cool, silky, summertime soup fit for a king or queen. Your family and guests will feel like royalty when you serve them this elegant soup with scrumptuous crab garnish. My DH enjoys this soup hot, while I like it cold; it's delicious either way. As a bonus, there are no dairy products or soy products used to create the creamy texture of this soup.
Top Review by Latchy
I really liked this recipe both hot and well chilled. When I looked at the ingredients and there was 21/2 teaspoons of curry I made sure I used a mild one and I think that was the right decision otherwise the curry could have taken over the delicate flavours of the ingredients. It's a going in my cookbook.
- 1 sweet onion, chopped (Vidalia, Maui, etc.)
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons curry powder
- 1 large carrot, peeled and sliced
- 2 medium red potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 1 lb asparagus, peeled,tough ends snapped off,and then cut into pieces
- 1 (14 ounce) can coconut milk (unsweetened kind)
- 1 cup vegetable broth or 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1⁄4 cup green onion, sliced very thin
- 1 cup crabmeat, fresh or canned drained and rinsed flaked
- salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook the onion in butter in a medium saucepan over low heat for around 6 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add curry powder and cook for 2 more minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add the carrots, potatoes, asparagus, soy sauce, coconut milk and broth to the pan.
- The liquid should barely cover the vegetables, so add or subtract broth if necessary.
- Bring to the boiling point, then turn down the heat to low.
- Cover the pan and simmer for around 45 minutes until the carrots and potatoes are soft.
- In batches, puree the soup in a blender.
- Next, pour it through a strainer into a bowl to remove all lumps remaining.
- Taste the soup for seasoning, adding salt and pepper to your taste preference.
- Chill the soup in the refrigerator for at least 3 hours.
- Taste soup again, since chilling often reduces the flavor impact.
- Pour into 4 shallow bowls.
- Spoon 1/4 cup crab meat into the center of each bowl and sprinkle with some sliced green onions.