Recipe by Pepper Monkey
Quick and easy way to use up some extra apples you have laying around and an alternative to making a desert. This is excellent served hot and suitable for freezing for later use. You can also serve this cold, but I prefer it hot.
Top Review by Amanda_Parr
This was pretty good, but a bit too sweet. I didn't have dried apricots so I used a couple ounces of raisins instead. I also used milk instead of cream and added extra curry. I think it tastes much better hot (cuts down on the sweetness somehow). Perhaps next time I will try with a tarter apple.
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 2 onions
- 2 tablespoons curry powder
- 7 1⁄2 cups chicken stock
- 8 apples (I like Red Delicious or Fuji)
- 3⁄4 cup dried apricot, chopped
- 1 cup light cream
- salt and pepper
- slivered almonds (to garnish) or parsley (to garnish)
Directions See How It's Made
- Melt butter in a large pan over medium heat.
- Add onions and saute gently until done, but not browned.
- Stir in the curry powder and cook for one more minute.
- Pour in the chicken stock and bring to a boil.
- Add the apples and apricots and return to a boil then lower the heat and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Remove the heat and let cool.
- Place in a blender or processor and blend until smooth and creamy.
- Return to the pan and reheat.
- Add the cream and season as necessary.
- Serve with garnishment of choice.