Prep 1 hr 30 mins
Cook 15 mins
I like a good bread, not the frozen store kind that lacks flavor. This recipe actually has the fruit and nuts incorporated in the dough, which I really like. It is my favorite!
- 6 cups flour
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons yeast
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 cups evaporated milk
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1 cup raisins or 1 cup currants
- 1 cup pecans, chopped
- 2 eggs
- 1⁄3 cup butter
- 3⁄4 cup brown sugar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons cinnamon
- In a large mixing bowl, combine 2 cups flour, sugar, yeast, and salt.
- Heat milk and butter to 110 degrees.
- Add to dry ingredients, beat for a few minutes to develop a good gluten.
- Add pecans, currants and eggs, mix in well.
- Stir in enough remaining flour to make soft dough.
- Knead on floured surface until smooth and elastic.
- Roll on floured surface into a 24 x 12-inch rectangle.
- Melt remaining butter and spread evenly over dough leaving a one inch border on one lengthwise side.
- Sprinkle with brown sugar and cinnamon.
- Roll dough up and pinch off with dental floss or sewing thread into 24 rolls.
- (I find this works best) Place on 2 large greased baking sheets.
- Let them rise in a warm oven until double in size.
- Remove and preheat oven to 375 degrees then bake for 15 minutes or until done.
- (I bake one sheet at a time) Glaze.
- In small bowl, combine 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar, and 2 tablespoons water or milk.
- Stir until smooth.
- May add more for desired consistency.
Oh, it's so hard to review yeast dough recipes because so much depends on the skill of the chef. I'm pretty used to baking with yeast, but that by no means is proof against flops. Actually, I made these rolls twice, and the first time was not successful. I couldn't review them like that so I tried again, this time paying a lot more attention to the recipe. The second batch is a lot better, and we will enjoy eating them, but they are still not as fluffy as I would hope. Other than that, the flavor is fine, and they are quick and easy to make. Thank you for sharing this recipe. I wish I knew if the problem was with the recipe or me. I will try again some time, and if the results are better, I will review again.