Prep 10 mins
Cook 35 mins
Add a touch of spice to your cooked meat with this delicious currant ketchup, ideal for basting grilled pork, lamb or chicken.
- 9 ounces currants
- 1 1⁄4 cups water
- 4 ounces brown sugar
- 1⁄4 cup cider vinegar
- 2 shallots, minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh gingerroot, grated
- 1 teaspoon ground yellow mustard seeds
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground allspice
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- Place the currants, water, sugar, vinegar, shallot, ginger, mustard, cinnamon, cayenne, cloves, allspice, salt and freshly ground pepper into a heavy-based saucepan.
- Bring to the boil, reduce the heat and simmer gently for 30 minutes, stirring now and then.
- Cool slightly and then blend in a food processor or jug blender, adding a little water if required. Transfer to a warm, sterilised jar, cover with a waxed disc, cool and cover tightly.
- To use the currant ketchup, simply baste the lamb, pork or chicken during the last few minutes of cooking.