Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
The supermarket does it again with this one!
- 3 1⁄2 lbs broiler-fryer chickens, whole
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons gingerroot, grated
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 3⁄4 cup currant jelly
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 2 teaspoons lemon peel, finely shredded
- 2 teaspoons reduced sodium soy sauce
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Rinse chicken; pat dry.
- In a small bowl stir together garlic, gingerroot, salt and pepper. Rub on skin of chicken and inside the body cavity too.
- Skewer neck skin to back. Tie legs together with string. Tuck wings under back. Prick skin with a fork.
- Place chicken breast side up, on a rack in a shallow roasting pan.
- Insert a meat thermometer into center of thigh muscle. Do not touch bone. Put chicken in oven to roast for 1 to 1 1/2 hours.
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, combine jelly, honey, lemon peel and soy sauce. Cook and stir until jelly melts.
- Brush chicken with about 1/4 of the jelly mixture during the last 10 minutes of roasting.
- Chicken is done when thermometer reads 180°F and drumsticks more easily in their sockets. Remove chicken from oven and let stand covered in foil for 10 minutes.
- Serve remaining jelly mixture warm with chicken.