Prep 15 mins
Cook 12 mins
These cookies were a staple at my Grandmother's house during the holidays. They are sort of like a scone, a dry cookie that is great with milk or coffee.
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 4 1⁄2 cups flour
- 4 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup margarine
- 1 cup dried currant
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees fahrenheit.
- Beat egg and milk together set aside.
- Sift flour, baking powder, salt, nutmeg and sugar together.
- Cut in margarine until the mixture is crumbly; add the egg/milk mixture.
- Mix in currants.
- Roll dough on floured surface to about a 1/2 inch thick.
- Cut with round cookie cutter.
- Place cookies on an ungreased baking pan.
- Bake for approximately 12 minutes or until the tops are golden brown.
- After removing cookies from the oven, while they are still hot, sprinkle tops with sugar to taste.