Prep 20 mins
Cook 10 mins
The old-fashioned Christmas drop cake from the New England chapter of the United States Regional Cookbook, Culinary Arts Institute of Chicago, 1947.
- Preheat oven to 375F and grease baking pans very well.
- Cream butter and sugar together until light and fluffy; add eggs one at a time, beating thoroughly after each addition.
- Add a little of the flour, rind and juice of lemon and salt.
- Work the rest of the flour in slowly along with the currants.
- Drop by spoonfuls, pressing flat with a knife as the cakes are better when very thin.
- Bake until lightly browned, about ten minutes.