Recipe by mollypaul
The old-fashioned Christmas drop cake from the New England chapter of the United States Regional Cookbook, Culinary Arts Institute of Chicago, 1947.
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 lb butter
- 6 eggs
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 lemon, juice and rind of
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 lb currants (mixed with a little bit of the flour)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 375F and grease baking pans very well.
- Cream butter and sugar together until light and fluffy; add eggs one at a time, beating thoroughly after each addition.
- Add a little of the flour, rind and juice of lemon and salt.
- Work the rest of the flour in slowly along with the currants.
- Drop by spoonfuls, pressing flat with a knife as the cakes are better when very thin.
- Bake until lightly browned, about ten minutes.